TruTravels 16 day Thai-Khmer Explorer
Day 1 – Arrival in Bangkok
We will either pick you up from the airport or meet you at our guesthouse and introduce you to the crew. You’ll have the day to chill and get settled before we head out in the evening with the rest of the group for a welcome meal and a few drinks on Khao San Road.
Day 2 – Chatuchack Weekend Market and Dinner Cruise
Today you get to experience the worlds largest open air market. There’s over 15,000 stalls so you can buy anything in the known universe there (well, almost!) and usually for a pretty decent price – shoppers paradise. The market is also home to one of our favourite bars in Bangkok, so you can take a break from shopping and enjoy a delicious cocktail and awesome DJ’s In the evening we will take a cruise along the Chao Phraya River and do a bit of fine dining, enjoying an all you can eat buffet and taking in the magnificent night time views of the riverbank with lit up temples, old and new Thai architecture.
Day 3 – Onwards to Rayong… Boat trips, Waterfalls & Turtles
Leaving Bangkok in the morning we take a private minibus to the lovely beach-side town of Rayong. Today you can either relax by the pool and sample some of the famous local cuisine or jump on board the Undiscovered Thailand boat for a day of sea, sun and fun. We’ll visit an awesome local waterfall, do some snorkelling and even visit a turtle sanctuary (seasonal) or try a spot of fly boarding (optional). In the evening we’ll grab a bite at the resort restaurant which boasts possibly the best pizza in Thailand!
Days 4 & 5 – Koh Chang bound
Today we hit the coastal road again over to the beautiful Island of Koh Chang. Whilst the 3rd biggest Thai Island, Koh Chang is not as well know among tourists as others like Samui or Phuket so it’s some what of an idyll. We stay in some cool little beach bungalows in the backpacker area of Lonely Beach which has great stretches of white sand, crystal clear water, cool bars and restaurants. Kayak, explore, fish, sunbathe or party… do whatever you like. We have two days to chill and ready ourselves for the next leg of our epic road trip… Cambodia!
Days 6 to 10 – Sihanoukville & Koh Rong
We start the Cambodia leg of the tour in Sihanoukville where there is no shortage of beaches, islands and parties. Whilst down on the South coast we’ll stay near the main beach and hit the famous beach parties at Dolphin Bar (50c beers!) and other good time beach shacks, spend two nights on the tropical island of Koh Rong (What could Koh wrong?) and take a pirate style booze-cruise/boat trip around the islands.
Days 10 to 12 – Kampot
On day 10 we take a short ride to the great little town of Kampot. Staying at an awesome backpackers right on the river we’ll spend the next two days chilling, rafting, tubing, hiking, cycling and maybe even rock climbing and abseiling in caves… YES!
Days 12 to 14 – Phnom Penh
Arriving in the capital by private mini bus, we’ll get checked into one of the coolest backpackers in the city with the best roof top bar! We’ll do some local shopping on St. 240 or a bit of heritage sight-seeing at Wat Phnom, the founding temple of Phnom Penh. Whilst in the city, tradition dictates that we take a tour to the historical and eye opening site of the Khmer Killing Fields and S21. Two historical land marks which shine some light on Cambodia’s chilling and not too distant history. While here we also eat at some nice spots including Dine in the Dark (A feature restaurant where you dine in complete darkness) and Friends Restaurant which serves Khmer tapas and is a training restaurant run by a charity for under privileged youth so they can gain employment and escape poverty. Also… We’ll sample some of the cities night life and party till the early hours.
Days 14 to 16 – Siem Reap
Depending on the season we’ll either take a mini van or boat from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap, home of the magnificent Angkor Wat temple ruins (where they filmed Tomb Raider & Tekken). We’ll take a sunrise bike ride through the temple complex exploring the awe inspiring ancient ruins which is a UNESCO World Heritage site. If you’re ballin’ you can even take a balloon ride and get a bird’s-eye view. Whilst here you can also visit a local NGO’s volunteer project and lend a hand, or take time to explore town and its surroundings. We stay in one of the towns most sociable and fun backpackers so expect plenty of parties and good times! On the last night we’ll take you out for a nice meal on us then to pub street for a pub-crawl to end the trip on a high. As always we can help you get to wherever you want to go next. Whether you’re doing one of our Top Ups or joining another TruTour for the next leg of your journey – we’ll make sure you’re in the right place at the right time for the fun to roll on!
- Airport pickup and taxi to your Bangkok hotel
- Taxis & tuk tuks in Bangkok, longtail boats, buses, ferries & private mini bus’/cars between locations
- Chao Phraya River evening dinner cruise
- Boat trips from Rayong and Sihanoukville
- Reur’mok (Sort of Cambodian Tuk Tuks/Rickshaws) rides around Phnom Penh, Killing fields.
- Sunrise cycle tour around Angkor Wat temple complex (even Hot air balloon – optional extra)
- River Boat between Phnom Penh and Siem Reap (in season, bus out of season)
- Two fun nights out In Bangkok and Khao San road
- Day at worlds biggest open air market, bars, food & shopping.
- Boat trips, waterfalls, snorkelling, viewpoints & turtle sanctuaries in Rayong & Sihanoukville (pirate style!)
- Islands & Beaches & bars at Rayong, Koh Chang, Koh Rong, Sihanoukville.
- City nightlife (Phnom Penh and Bangkok) and beach parties (Koh Chang, Koh Rong, Sihanoukville)
- Optional Kayaking, paddle boarding & fishing in Koh Chang & Koh Rong.
- Trekking, tubing, rope swings and river activities in Kampot (climbing and abseiling in caves optional)
- Guided tours of Killing Fields, S21 and Wat Phnom in Phnom Penh
- Sunrise cycle tour of stunning Angkor Wat temple ruins (balloon ride optional)
- Visit Volunteering projects in Siem Reap (optional)
- Pub crawl in Siem Reap
- Lunch on boat trip from Rayong
- Lunch on boat trip from Sihanoukville
We leave most of meal choice to you, but we do take you to some amazing restaurants (both traditional and modern) so there is always something for everyone. Please note you will have to buy all your other meals, snacks, water etc., so do budget for this when planning your trip!
- Online support before you go on tour (via our Meet Others Tour Radar App, as well as email)
- Insider knowledge from our incredible Western tour guides, who will be able to answer any questions you may have about Thailand
- Help and support organising any onward travel or Top Up Adventures